Leh Ladakh Inner Line Permits (ILP) and Protected Area Permit
If you are planning a trip to Leh Ladakh then you must get information about permits. Starting April 2017, the administration in Ladakh has re-introduced Inner line Permit for Domestic tourists. International tourists travelling to inner areas of Leh Ladakh require Protected area Permit.
Nonetheless, in a move which makes getting the Inner line permit less demanding for domestic tourists, the local administration have launched a web-based interface through which one can apply for inner line permit (ILP) online by paying INR 400 for every Person as an environment fee+ 20 rupees for each day as an Inner line fee. Portal was started on 1st June 2017.
What is Inner Line Permit (ILP) for Leh Ladakh
Inner Line Permit, or ILP, is a mandatory document issued by Government of India which enables domestic and foreign tourists to travel to inner areas of Ladakh. This document is mandatory for non-state subjects of Jammu and Kashmir. For domestic tourists, Inner Line Permit or ILP is valid for 3 weeks, and for foreign nationals, Protected Area Permit is valid for 1 week. You can visit the areas mentioned in the permit multiple times as long as permit duration is valid.
Which Areas require Permits
You do not require Inner line permit for travelling to all the places in Leh Ladakh. Permits are not required for travelling on Srinagar-Leh highway and Manali-Leh Highway. ILP is required if you are planning to travel to inner areas of Ladakh namely: Nubra Valley, Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Dah, Hanu Villages, Man, Merak, Nyoma, Loma Bend, Turtuk, Tyakshi, Chusul, Hanle, Digger La, Tangyar (for trekking only).
Key points related to Inner Line Permit (ILP) and Protected Area Permit (PAP)
- Leh Inner Line Permit (ILP) is required by domestic tourists starting from 1st April 2017 and Protected Area Permit (PAP) is required by foreign nationals.
- ILP is not required for residents of J&K state and children below the age of 12 years. They can visit the protected area region in Ladakh by showing/carrying a valid Photo Id proof.
- Permits are not required for travelling on Srinagar-Leh highway and Manali-Leh Highway.
- ILP is required if you are planning to travel to inner areas of Ladakh namely: Nubra Valley, Khardung La, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Dah, Hanu Villages, Man, Merak, Nyoma, Loma Bend, Turtuk, Tyakshi, Chusul, Hanle, Digger La, Tangyar (for trekking only).
- There is an environment fee of Rs.400 per person and Inner Line permit fee of Rs.20 per day per person.
- Online portal for obtaining ILP and PAP is http://lahdclehpermit.in/
- There is no provision for making the payment online. So for making the payment and getting the permits signed or stamped, you will have to take the printout of the online form along with a copy of it and visit Office, Opposite J&K Bank, Main Market, Leh.
- One can also apply for permits TIC Office, Opposite J&K Bank, Main Market, Leh. The office is open all working days (Monday to Friday) 09:00 AM to 07.00 PM.